Is Quinoa that bad?

by Run Fast Mama on January 28, 2014

Seriously now folks,  I am really questioning what I am eating lately and do not think I am getting enough carbs.

Now, let me preface with the fact that I eat gluten free and do not even eat the gluten free bread replacements although my baby girl, who has a soy allergy, really enjoys UDI’s bread. Nothing wrong with that, but to paint the picture I don’t do bread,  carbs, or wheat.  My only real carb cheat food in times of stress is organic potato chips.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.  I have been learning a lot more about nutrition, and it kinda got me thinking that maybe I’m not getting enough carbs.  There was a segment about being tired and not able to power through a workout and that kinda resonated pretty close to my heart.  Not to mention the fact my running coach always tells me to eat quiona and chia, but I digress..

It got me thinking, is FULL Paleo right for me? Granted I am anaphylactic to legumes,  and avoid gluten as well as dairy, but I really question if I eat enough carbs?  I’m just talking CLEAN carbs here like quinoa and chia.

I am on Whole30 now but I was craving rice or something to go with the dinner I made in my room last night.  Now, I know cravings can be associated with allergies or things that are not good, of course.  But after looking through the Trader Joe’s freezer section and seeing the organic quinoa, my heart was set and I knew that would go perfect with my dinner.

quiona

So, once again, I broke Whole30 but seriously thinking as long as I avoid sugar I am good in terms of keeping my diet clean and doing a cleanse of added sugar- well potato chips and wine too.  It is what it is.

I have had an issue powering through my workouts, perhaps this is the answer for me to start researching more clean carbs and integrating them into my diet to see if it helps keep my energy levels up during workouts and prevents me from burning out so soon.  Granted I do eat lots of fruit and veggies, but can’t say I get enough as I have been focusing on protein more, which may not be the right thing for me.

Time will tell, for now, I’m gonna try it.  I have done great with Whole 30 in avoiding my stress foods for the past few days. No sugar, wine and chips and I do plan on keeping that up in my diet as I have noticed a HUGE benefit, but I need to listen to myself and see if adding a few healthy carbs will do my body some good.

We are all unique, I just need to remember that what someone says is best practice may not be the best practice for my body.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

NJ Paleo January 28, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Quinoa isn’t bad! I agree, and sometimes I use it for post workout meals. I have had carb issues too so I eat sweet potatoes, squashes, and have recently discovered plantains which are yummy when roasted. You just have to experiment.

Run Fast Mama January 28, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Laura, love the post workout idea! I make sweet potatoes and squashes every week as part of my food preparation but need more actually. Looking forward to adding quinoa in the mix again as breakfast, lunch or dinner options depending on what I feel like and am eating the rest of the day.

NJ Paleo January 28, 2014 at 8:23 pm

It’s hard to figure out the carb balance on paleo sometimes. And I think it’s funny that your trigger foods are the same as mine!

Stacy January 28, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I had an awful time with long runs during a “gluten free experiment” I did last year. For various reasons I went gluten free for almost four months. My runs over about 60-75 minutes suffered badly and I ended up racing back to “healthy grains” immediately following my worst half marathon performance in three years! I try to eat a pretty clean diet and many of my carbs are from quinoa. I say try it and see! Everyone’s body is a little different and what works for some may not work for you. Good luck!

Mar @ Mar on the Run! January 29, 2014 at 11:10 am

I am in love with Quinoa!! I mix it with oats and brown rice and often eat that as a meal, maybe with some diced tomatoes. I’m not Paleo or Whole30 but currently marathon training and all I crave are carbs!!

Janell January 29, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Whole 30 allows for sweet potatoes. Are you allergic to those? They make great carbs. And since you like potato chips, I slice them very thin (with a mandolin) and fry them in coconut oil for sweet potato chips. They are delish!

Heathers Looking Glass January 30, 2014 at 10:00 am

you are so right sometimes we need to decide things for ourselves and not base opinions on what everyone online is saying!

Run Fast Mama January 30, 2014 at 10:13 am

Yes, for sure live and learn and listen to our bodies for what is right for us. Sometimes I tend to forget that ;).
Thanks for the comment Heather.